Growth for the Future: “Building Climate Change Resilient Economic Capacity and Environmental protection role of Ethiopian Women through integrated approaches” Quarter 4
Implementation areas region, zone and woreda
Outcome 1.1: Enhanced awareness of 300 community members on climate change adaptation and mitigation.
Outcome 2.1: Promoted and Practiced Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) and agro forestry practices and technologies and benefit 950 vulnerable women in Axum Zuria Woreda.
Outcome 2.2: Implemented and practiced small scale irrigation and access to water schemes in Axum Zuria Woreda to address 575 vulnerable women and girls
Outcome 2.3: Improved animal production and husbandry in Axum Zuria Woreda through improved animal health and promotion of drought tolerant fodders
Outcome 2.4: Improved utilization of renewable energy sources by vulnerable women and girls in Axum Zuria Woreda.
Outcome 2.5: Improved natural resource conservation and management in Axum Zuria Woreda.
Outcome 3.1: Strengthened awareness and ownership of adaptation and climate risk reduction processes and capacity to implement at local government structures, CSOs and CBOs.
Outcome 3.2: Strengthened institutional capacity of local government structures, CBOS and CSOs to reduce risks associated with climate-induced socioeconomic and environmental losses
- Executive summary (progress towards project outcomes and objective)
This project is intended to contribute towards the efforts being carried out in Tigray Regional State to strengthen the resilience of women and girls to climate variability and change by end of the project. Specifically, the project strengthens the level of awareness of 300 community members on women empowerment, climate change adaptation and environmental protection; diversify and strengthen livelihoods and sources of income for 5000 vulnerable women and girls through climate Smart Agriculture, Livestock and Agro forestry and build adaptation and disaster risk management capacity of local government structures, CBOs and CSOs to reduce risks associated with climate-induced socioeconomic and environmental losses in Axum Zuria Woreda by 2020. In accord to this, the following activities are undertaken in this quarter to contributing achievement of the overall intention of the project.
- Provide training of 1800 grassroots communities, including religious leaders and cultural gate keepers for three days on threats of climate change and: adaptation and resilience measures.
- Organizing 120 village level women discussion groups that conduct discussion twice in month regularly on environmental protection and sanitation.
- Supporting local mass-media and school mini-media to broadcast climate change adaptation and mitigation education.
- Developing mechanisms for product aggregating and marketing.
- Forming VSLAs groups and developing bylaws
- Training of VSLAs and SMEs in business plan development, financial management leadership
- Providing basic VSLA Kits.
- Providing initial capital for VSLA group members.
- Supporting 14 women’s groups that are engaging on production of local energy saving stoves to enhance their skills and expand their production capacity.
- Distributing 1200 energy efficient stoves.
- Installing bio-gas plants for 70 women community members.
- Promoting compatible income generating activities for selected women such as apiculture /fattening /beekeeping /34 /
- Quarterly review meeting with 12 stakeholders at the project site.
- Facilitate 4 participatory monitoring and evaluation processes annually.
Project activities photo review
Figure`1: photo credit on women’s training.
Figure: 2, photo credit: Offer Mini-media
Figure photo cerdit 3:Forming Bylewas
Figure photo credit 4: Training sessions
Figure photo: 5 VSLA kits.
Figure 6: Bio-gas installation
Figure; 7 Beehives
Build Climate Change Resilient Economic Capacity and Environmental Protection “Role of Ethiopian Women” through Integrated Approaches
NMHDO: – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Project Site፦Woreda lailay michew/Axum Round, Tigray,
Sep, 30,/2018 Quarter 3
- Executive summary
Lailay Michew Woreda with population Male, 39194 female 39432 total 78,626 lies in the ecology, of Woyina Dega. Most of the people depend on Agriculture. But is re repeatedly affected by drought. Previously, the drought that appeared in the area had been happening ones in ten years. Currently, however, the drought appears in smaller years. Limited access to credit facilities, low level literacy rate, fragile ecosystem and degradation .NMHDO working to contributes to strengthen the level of awareness of community member in residing in Axum Zuria Woreda. On women empowerment, climate change adaptation and environmental protection and eradication of poverty trough different intervention activities.
Activities Image overview
Training saving stove production picture.
Area closer picture
Bio gas installation